#41 Alastor

Alastor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

Quick first responses ...

Seignory - this has a good archaic 'feel' to it ... keep it, please !

"Tonder bought 10 stone for 120 pounds to Neumunster." - suggested "Tonder bought 10 stone for 120 pounds from Neumunster." - possibly better as "Tonder bought 10 Stone, paid 120 Pounds to Neumunster." ... the capitalisation of Stone and Pounds indicates that those terms have specific meaning in *this* world ... again, it maintains the more formal/archaic tone/'feel' ...

"Right of Way" in English means that *anyone* may cross that land or path freely - the owner of the path is not allowed to close that Right of Way ... 

"Right of Passage" sounds clumsy - unless Garik is confusing "Rite of Passage" which means a ritual used when a person passes from one human condition to another, perhaps by promotion - as the Rite of Passage when becoming an adult ...

"Free Passage" is the military/diplomatic term in English when one permits a specified non-owner to cross one's lands ... one grants that non-owner Free Passage over/through the lands ...

Do these help ?

#42 Alastor

Alastor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

In Notifications, I just saw "5 décember 1107 - La maison de Krusovice déclare la guerre à la maison de Pragues" ...

Yes, yes, I know, it's a bit drastic to prove a point, but ... it's the only way I know to show that text as a possible translation problem ...

(innocent grin)

#43 Alastor

Alastor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:02 AM

In "Cow Breeding" ...

"La terre est votre richesse principale. Les parcelles agricoles fournissent la majeure partie de vos stocks de nourriture

"La terre est votre richesse principale. Les parcelles agricoles fournissent la majeure partie de vos stocks de nourriture"

#44 KojiOrphen

KojiOrphen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

While it's not a "translation" problem, I've noticed that when my connection times out, the "Reconnect" button takes me to www.marchofhistory.com instead of www.marchofhistory.com/en/.

Koji

#45 oriflambe

oriflambe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

Fixed.

I can fix anything that is already in english but has problems (inapprehensible, vague, useless, rubbish), the rest is up to Le0ben :)
I translated the "quotes" of the buildings, but if you think you make them look more like Middle_English grammar (and still be understandable^^), feel free.

Middle English is not readily understandable to the modern reader; there was a far greater change than from say Old French. Middle English is the language of Chaucer - something you need help to read. Old English is the language of Beowulf.

That aside; the translation for Palisade is Fence; this isn't very accurate - you can leave it as palisade, as most english terms for fortification come from French and are so recognisable. If you do want a specifically english term Paling would be more accurate.

Many of the Technologies need a better translation:

Seigneurie banale = Small Fiefdom
Elements de méchanique = Machinery
Justice banale = I would suggest magistrates; but that seems to fall under the purview of Civil Service. Maybe Courts or some variation.
Moulin banal = Post Mill, this might not be what you are going for but is the most accurate translation I could think of.
Haubert Chainmail
Vérin = Screw? Not sure what exactly the equivalent would be. Piston would be the most 'accurate' but belongs more to the Industrial Revolution.
Hippiatrie = ??? Perhaps Horse Bloodlines or something equivalent, it is a very obscure word in English.
Charrue à soc dissymétrique = Mouldboard plow
Moulin sur pivot = Tower Windmill
Scie hydraulique = Waterwheel, there isn't any other technologies or buildings that use it - the building itself can be called Water-powered Sawmill.
Alchimie = Alchemy
Polearms is an unnessecary plural, it should be Polearm in line with the other weapons.
Enseignements agricoles = Unsure, but Agricultural Education is probably not what I think you are intending here as it sounds far too modern.
Fonction publique = Bureaucracy, the advantage of this translation is that you can make Justice Banale translate to Magistrates.
Horloge = Either Clockwork or THE clock, the word by itself is very awkward in English.
Poudre à canon = Gunpowder
Livre/Book = BookS; again this looks strange without the Plural.
Formation technique = Engineering (This doesn't have the same connotations as in French), alternatively mathematics or something similar.
Coordination militaire = Military Formations
Prêt = LoanS; another Plural needed.
Fumier = Fertilizer
Techniques interarmées = Combined Arms or Combined Arms Formations
Nouvelle infrastructure seigneuriale = I think the best suggestion for this is Manorial Renovation or something similar. Again very awkward in English.
Bielle manivelle = This is sufficient although not particularly elegant in English. Probably should be kept as is.
Bombarde = Cannon, although Bombard is sufficient just very rare in English and is definetly old fashioned. Can be kept as is, but I think a change would be better..
Arquebuse = Arquebus
Production minière de masse = Deep Shaft Mining, I think the French could change here too, it doesn't sound very medieval.
Comptabilité = Unsure, its a sufficient translation. Finance would probably be better.

#46 Alastor

Alastor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

"Comptabilité = Unsure, its a sufficient translation. Finance would probably be better.

Comptabilité = Accounting ...

#47 oriflambe

oriflambe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

"Comptabilité = Unsure, its a sufficient translation. Finance would probably be better.

Comptabilité = Accounting ...

I knew that, I meant that it seems out of place and the essence might be better to get across.

#48 Krstash

Krstash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:51 PM

THN86gT.png

More french

King of Hungary & Croatia

Duke of Transylvania

#49 Alastor

Alastor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:46 AM

"

• 5 april 1109 - Building Carrière de pierre is now finished inKrusovice

"

"5 april 1109 - Building Carrière de pierre is now finished in Krusovice" 

... at completion of building a Stone Quarry ...

#50 Krstash

Krstash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:43 AM

B0rtAS7.png

More French :D

King of Hungary & Croatia

Duke of Transylvania

#51 Alastor

Alastor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:57 AM

In the Tavern, under the tab for Neighbours, beside the heraldic shield

"Seignory of Podebrady STR_NOT_FOUND:ville/RegieParCapitale

Seignory of Podebrady STR_NOT_FOUND:ville/RegieParCapitale

#52 Garik

Garik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

Under Strategy heading, My Situation tab. There is a typo. "My BATLLES" should be "MY BATTLES".

#53 lockey

lockey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:06 PM

I just became the duke of Kuyavian in poland, changed my family name to it, but its show as "Cujavie" in chat, wich is the french name for the duchy.

#54 Gilberta

Gilberta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:54 AM

• 25 april 1112 - The cargo of 20 outils just arrived in Roubaix

My name is Gilberta, but I am a man, a real one, bolloks, dresses and all; yeah!

#55 Ophelia

Ophelia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

One small thing that bugs me: the month of July is spelt Juiy in the calendar.

#56 Ophelia

Ophelia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

In the list of treaties, it would be nice if it correctly distinguished between treaties offered BY a house and treaties offered TO a house.

• Alastor likes this

#57 Vana_Runedottir

Vana_Runedottir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationDivinity's Reach

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:18 AM

Many (or most) of the names of places in France are normally called by their French names even in English, rather than translating them. For example, Vannes should still be Vannes, and not Valves. (And Gates would make more sense than Valves anyway, if it is to be translated.)  But 'Kingdom of' would be better in general than 'Royaume de'. And note especially that to search for Valves on the family page, you still need to type in 'Van' as 'Val' won't find it.

Locke-Vannes family; Hobbes-Al Andalus family

#58 Ophelia

Ophelia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:48 PM

A missing image, missing quote, and two stray french labels:

translation1.jpg

#59 Mclegrand

Mclegrand

King

• Administrators
  • 465 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Many (or most) of the names of places in France are normally called by their French names even in English, rather than translating them. For example, Vannes should still be Vannes, and not Valves. (And Gates would make more sense than Valves anyway, if it is to be translated.)  But 'Kingdom of' would be better in general than 'Royaume de'. And note especially that to search for Valves on the family page,

I am tracking these mistranslations, please tell me if you find more.

"you still need to type in 'Van' as 'Val' won't find it" -> this is a bug. ("search" engine works on french versions of strings)

MOH
Forum admin (ne me contactez pas pour des problèmes IG) inutile (je ne peux pas créer de groupes d'accès)
Chef traducteur anglais
Rédacteur du wiki

Europe 500
(futur) Roi de Hongrie-Croatie
Duc de Transylvanie
Grand fournisseur de mariés des familles d'Europe

#60 Alastor

Alastor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

Today ...

"

• 28 september 1127 - The cargo of 100 nourriture just arrived in Benesov

"28 september 1127 - The cargo of 100 nourriture just arrived in Benesov" - should be "The cargo of 100 Food just arrived in Benesov"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users